Monday, August 13, 2012

Sunrise Buckets

Kim and I were looking for a new place to have late dinner in last Saturday. At first I was leaning towards going to Citizen Pub and Burger Bar in City Golf, but it was a Saturday and I really wasn't in the mood for crowds. Then I remembered there was a Sunrise Buckets inside the The Grove by Rockwell. So, after picking her up from her airbrush class in Ortigas, we went straight there.


Being a chicken wings fan, I've wanted to try Sunrise Buckets for the longest time. But Buffalo Wings N' Things was just more conveniently located, so we always went there for our wings fix (and by always, I mean more like weekly!). It wasn't until recently that I found out that there was a new Sunrise Buckets conveniently located in The Grove!

The place was hip and cool to say the least. I love Americana or any memorabilia that's about the US, so needless to say I loved the place with all the organized clutter lying around.

The wall beside the main counter.

The wall adjacent to the restroom.

This corkboard full of personalized post- its was in our booth :)

While this one was in the restroom.
Despite the "high-end" feel of the place, self service is king here. You have to line up to order. You have to get your own plates, utensils, plastic gloves (para sa maselan ), etc.

Sunrise Buckets has the most number of wings sauce to choose from than any other wings place I've been to. They have 3 groups of sauces, one for the Pinoy taste, one for that classic American wings flavor, and one that has the unique/ crazy flavors. Each sauce group in the menu vary in price per pound. To play it safe on our first visit, we opted to get the standard buffalo wings sauce. We settled for the Mild Real American Buffalo Wings... all 2 and a half pounds of it!

Surprise.. they serve the wings in a bucket!

2 1/2 lbs of Mild Real American Buffalo Wings. 655php.
It tasted good, it had the right blend of being tangy and spicy. The wings were also generously covered in the sauce, which for me really makes or breaks the hot wings experience. Eating wings should be messy! I actually expected it to be hotter (spicier) than it was, but I guess I was used to BWNT for the longest time that I hold their hot wings as benchmark. Maybe next time we'll try the spicier sauces.

I don't usually get rice with my wings, but Kim does. It was really late for dinner and she was really hungry. They had 3 (or was it 4) kinds of rice to choose from, but settled for the plain, steamed rice for 50php since we were both cheapskates.

We also got Boracay Grilled Hotdog.

Boracay Grilled Hotdog. 60php.
It has a sweet and spicy taste at the same time. Despite the simpleness of it, I liked it. If you've been in Boracay, you know that carts selling this (plus chorizo's, and your other usual kanto bbq fare) are at every corner.

And to wash the food down, we had a couple of Sunrise Iced Tea.

Sunrise Iced Tea. 75 php each with 1 refill.
The iced tea has a weird taste to it. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's different than most house blend iced teas I've tasted. Parang may pait sa dulo. And for an extra 20php you could get one refill for it, which isn't bad at all.

Service was a little slow, and they seemed to be undermanned for a Saturday night crowd. I later found out that some of the crew didn't report to work because of the recent flooding in Pasig and all over the metro.

So, will we be coming back here? Probably. BWNT is still the go-to wings place for me, but if you want a nice alternative in the same area, Sunrise Buckets is more than capable enough to cover your wings fix. You'll probably end up having to spend more but the difference in ambiance, and overall location is a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of BWNT's location in Home Depot.


Sunrise Buckets
The Grove by Rockwell, C5, Libis, Pasig City
(across Tiendesitas & SM Hypermart)

No comments:

Post a Comment