Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mom and Tina's Bakery Cafe

April 20, 2013. Saturday.

I have always noticed the Mom and Tina's signage every time I pass by along C5 when going to work. I always thought that it was just a pastry/ cake/ dessert shop since I have never tried going inside it. But since Kim and I had some time to kill this Saturday afternoon, we went looking for a place to have a "light" snack in. Passing along Katipunan, we impulsively ducked into the Regis Center from the sweltering heat. We still didn't know where to eat and pass the time, so we browsed through the selections. But once I saw that Mom and Tina's menu had silog meals in it, we quickly settled for a table there.

IMG_3356

We never thought that Mom and Tina's served main courses aside from their pies and cakes, so we have never bothered eating there even though we often pass by their C5 Pasig and Katipunan branch. The place had a nice homey, cozy and welcoming feel to it. It was like dining in your own dining room. Well, if your dining room was this elegant. The place was a little small, but not cramped. The mirrors that fill up one side of the wall sort of expands the restaurant though, so you definitely won't feel claustrophobic.

IMG_3346

You might be confused with the opening paragraph mentioning both light snack and silog meals in the same breath. Yes that's our definition of a "light" snack. Oops, have to change that to "my definition".

I ordered the Tocino and Egg.

IMG_3342
Tocino and Egg.
I usually order Tapsilog when I'm having breakfast fare, but I decided to change it up this day. The tocino was tender and just had the right sweetness to it. I would've preferred for it to be a little more toasted though. I just love those burnt edges off my tocino, but that's just me. The egg was a little runny which was to my liking.


IMG_3345
Bacon and Cheese Empanada. 40php.
Being a typical Filipino, Kim bought two thinking that a single pastry is usually not enough. Little did we know that this 40-peso stuffed bread is really worth it's price. It is like the most refined version of the yummy empenadas at local bakery shops. Once bitten, you could really see that your perfectly baked bread is filled with equally perfect melted cheese with bacon. And since this heavenly bread is almost as big as a fist, Kim only managed to finish one.

We loved the food and the ambiance of the place, but the service could definitely use some improvement. We had to wait for a while for our food to be served. I don't know if that is usually the case, but they only had 2 waiters to serve everyone -- and the place was packed! But if ever in the area again and we are in search of breakfast fare, we will definitely give Mom and Tina's a try again.

IMG_3352

Mom and Tina's Bakery Cafe
2nd Floor, Regis Center,
Katipunan Ave, Loyola Heights,
Quezon City
(02) 990- 2875

No comments:

Post a Comment